Intra-company transfer visa

If your company is a multinational, and you wish to bring an employee to do skilled work at a UK branch, you can do so through the Intra-company transfer visa if the necessary requirements are met.

Intra-company transfers requirements

In order for a candidate to qualify for an intra corporate transfer, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that:

  • They have been employed for at least 12 months (unless they qualify as a “high earner”) at the overseas sending company before being transferred to the UK
  • They have received a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an organisation in the UK that holds a sponsor licence
  • The role they have been offered is a genuine vacancy
  • They possess the necessary skills and experience for the role
  • The role is at the relevant skill level (typically NQF level 6 or above) and they will be paid an appropriate salary for the role
  • They have sufficient funds to maintain themselves (if maintenance is not certified by the sponsor)
  • They have a TB certificate if required
  • They do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal

The employee must have sufficient funds to maintain themselves. These cash funds must be at least £1,270 and will need to have been held for at least 28 consecutive days ending not more than 31 days before the date of the Intra-company transfer visa application.

If you are willing, as the sponsor, to meet the maintenance costs (up to the end of the first month of the employment) to an amount of at least £1,270, then the employee will be exempt from meeting the financial requirements.

Speak to our business immigration experts today

The UK Intra-company transfer process

Your sponsor licence must be listed as A-rated on the Home Office’s register of licensed sponsors in order to issue the Certificate of Sponsorship for the employee applying for the transfer visa.

The employee coming to the UK must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the job they are planning to do.

Your employee must make their Intra-company transfer visa application within three months of the date of issue on the Certificate of Sponsorship.

To be seen as valid the Certificate of Sponsorship must include the following:

  • The employee’s name, job and salary
  • Confirmation that they have worked for their employer outside the UK for at least 12 months unless they are a high earner
  • A start date which is no more than three months after the date of the Intra-company transfer visa application
  • Confirmation that the Certificate of Sponsorship was not used in a previous application that was either granted or refused and has not been withdrawn by the sponsor or cancelled by the Home Office.

Extending the Intra-company transfer visa

If your employee’s application for a UK Intra-company transfer visa is successful they will be able to extend their stay in the UK up to a maximum period of:

  • five years in any six-year period if they are paid less than £73,900 per year
  • nine years in any 10-year period if they are paid £73,900 or more per year

Paying the Immigration Skills Charge

As the sponsor, your company must pay the full immigration skills charge

The Immigration Skills Charge must be paid each time a sponsoring employer assigns a Certificate of Sponsorship to a migrant.

UK Intra-company transfer visa salary requirement

Employers seeking to transfer an employee under the UK Intra-company transfer route must pay their skilled workers a minimum salary of £41,500 or the "going rate" for the occupation, whichever is higher.

The UK Government has provided a list of annual going rates for the occupations that are eligible for the Intra-company transfer


Read more about our business immigration service

We cover all aspects of business immigration in this section. Select a card below to read more about that topic.

Get in touch

Fill in your details below and one of our expert advisers will be in touch as soon as they are able.

OISC logo
Authorised to practise immigration law by the OISC under Registration No F200100004.